Steroid ferret poodle

I have to admit that pets were a huge driving factor in wanting to do well financially – if I had dependents I love, I want to be able to take care of them. If I didn’t have them, and the guilt of not having savings or credit to cover their vet care in case of emergency, I don’t know how motivated I would have been to pull myself out of debt. (Once out of debt I started a savings account for their future vetting, in addition to budgeting not only for their supplies monthly, but feral cat colony food monthly AND a non-profit donation savings account, with heavy animal welfare representation – for full disclosure I also work in animal welfare as my money-job.)

Thank you for sharing your story. I have a 9 year old Maltese, Chase, who was diagnosed with severe MV insufficiency this past summer (July 2013). At the time, the vet started him on Vetmedin, Enalapril, and Lasix ( mg once a day). A week in to treatment, his platelet count dropped to 30,000 and he was taken off the enalapril and started on prednisone and carafate. After a week, his platelet count normalized and he was on the road to recovery. Over the course of the next few months, the vet doubled his lasix to twice a day and added mg Aldactone. Recently, I noticed that Chase was coughing, not breathing as well and was having more activity intolerance than usual. I listened to his lungs (I’m an RN and currently in medical school) and I heard crackles, which of course meant fluid was building up in his lungs. He was also diagnosed with a collapsing trachea and so I gave him several PRN doses torbutrol to help with the cough and to calm his anxiety, but nothing seemed to help. I took him in to see his internal medicine/cardiologist vet this morning and they told me he had gone into full blown heart failure. By the time we made it to the vet, his tongue and gums were blue! I was so devastated. They immediately gave in 40 mg IV Lasix and placed him on Oxygen. At that point, they gave me two options: 1) Put him to sleep or 2)Place him in an oxygen chamber and continue to diurese him with IV lasix until his breathing improves. Well, at this point, #1 was not an option for me b/c before we got to the vet, Chase was running around and barking with my other 2 dogs like nothing was wrong. Of course, it wasn’t like he used to do it when he was a puppy, but he was holding his own with the other dogs. The vet told me that his prognosis with the IV Lasix and Oxygen chamber was good. If we can see him through this, we can increase his Lasix and he will have at least 6 months or longer. Right now, I’m sitting at home and my baby Chase is still at the vet receiving all of his treatments. I’m waiting to hear back from the vet about how he’s doing. The last I heard is that he is starting to “pink up”, but his breathing is not out of the woods yet. I’m so torn up and I just keep crying when I think about it. Sue, I don’t know how remained so strong during when you were going through this with Precious. By the way, I also have a Pomeranian, too. His name is Flash. He’s all black with with a little white streak on his belly I’m sorry to have written a book here, but I wanted to thank you again for sharing your story. It has truly been an inspiration to me and is helping me to cope with what I am going through with Chase. Thanks! Allison

Steroid ferret poodle

steroid ferret poodle


steroid ferret poodlesteroid ferret poodlesteroid ferret poodlesteroid ferret poodlesteroid ferret poodle